Friday, April 6, 2012

Indexing the 1940's Census!

The long awaited 1940's US Census has finally arrived! I've had the opportunity to index a couple of the records with Family Search...Fun to see the format and be a part of it all.

Logged onto Ancestry.com today and found you can actually browse the census there, even though only a couple of the states are searchable at this point. So, of course, I browsed out there to look for the records of my relatives and found them! It took a bit of searching but worth the time investment to find them and be able to print my finds for my records.

Although I knew what towns my relatives had lived in during 1940 I didn't remember the exact addresses. I found the enumeration schedules on the site very helpful in narrowing down the amount of census records I would need to search to find them.

To get to those you just go to the 1940 is here tab, push START LOOKING , scroll down below the search box under INDEXING STATUS and choose the enumeration district finder....that will allow you to enter the state and city and give you a map of how they divided the area...so if you can remember what part of town they lived in...you can then go to the browse and choose that particular number/group of records to browse. It's awesome. Kinda cool to have a map of the town as it appeared in 1940 as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment